Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Peace in the Storm




We are just back from a two-week family vacation.  We had such a great time with our dear friends, the Pressley’s.  Clint and Connie (Mac and Nate) have been our friends for many years and we typically go with them to an Island in Florida around this time of year.  This year, as we headed down to Florida after Sunday morning church, we learned that the island had been closed due to a Tropical Storm.  The island was without power for about a week and we were searching for new vacation plans. 

We met our friends in Tifton, GA and made it our ‘new vacation’ place for the week.  Tifton isn’t generally considered a vacation destination but we didn’t spend much time complaining.  Family time and good friends made the location insignificant.  God blessed our time and our small town vacation was actually pretty fun.  We went to the Tifton bowling alley – the Tifton movie theatre – the Tifton Waffle House (actually there are two Tifton Waffle Houses)– and the Tifton Chick-fil-A. 

In our time there, we also walked the downtown area.  On one particular walk, we crossed a railroad track and Clint remarked that he and his oldest son were thinking of running the railroad tracks on one of our afternoons.  That thought is probably harmless for most people, but standing on those railroad tracks sent my mind to thoughts of my brother, Tommy -- thoughts that stayed with me the whole two weeks.

Tommy was my great-looking oldest brother.  He was 25 and I was in the third grade when he died.  In fact, I was in Mrs. Nelson’s class at Darby Elementary in Ohio when I was told about Tommy.  (I love Mrs. Nelson so much to this day.  She was a comfort to me then and still cheerleads me and Chris via Facebook.)  Tommy was hit by a train in the middle of the night.  He and his girlfriend were laying on the tracks hanging out late at night right behind her parent’s home.  She went inside, he stayed outside a little longer and fell asleep on the tracks.  The train came through and Tommy tried to escape, but his clothes got caught in the tracks. 

My parents were in the thick of raising kids at that time.  My brother, Steve, was in college; my sister, Cathy, had just given birth to her first child; my sister, Karen, was ready to start her first day at Ohio State and my brothers, Mitch and Johnny, were in Middle School.  My dad was an over the road truck driver and out on a run in another state.  My mom was working as a supervisor for the State of Ohio.  The police came by that morning to have someone identify the body and my sister, Karen, was the only one home.  She is the sweetest girl, my heart breaks knowing she was asked to do this at such a young age. 

How could any family be prepared for what my parents would have to deal with?  My parents, who were saved as adults and started a church in their home (that would later become Southwest Community Church of the Nazarene – and still stands today) would be forced into a situation in which their faith would be on display like they couldn’t possibly have prepared for.   But the way they displayed their faith has been a remarkable testimony to the peace that can only come from the Lord. 

I love time to reflect.  Bedtime is the best time for me to reflect.  I go over the day -- repent for feelings, thoughts and behaviors.  I ask the Lord to purify my heart and draw me close to Him.  These two weeks away allowed for great reflection time.  I would start reading something and then my mind would wonder and I would think of my extended family.  I love them all so much.  However, there are many things we have done as a family without Tommy.  For me the list includes: the day I got married, the day I had my first child and the day we bought our first home.  Every big event and even some simple ones, quickly make my heart remember that Tommy did not get to experience those things.  He was so much older than me.  He was really more like an uncle.  He went into the military and I have no memory of us living in the house together. 

I have just one memory of him.  Breaks my heart – but it is the truth.  He and his girlfriend came out to the house one evening and took Johnny and me to the drive-in movies.  It was an incredible night.  I enjoyed it so much and he was so handsome like my father.  I loved every minute of being his kid sister that night.  He reeked of cool!  Once I got my license, I would drive over to that same drive-in by myself just to remember him and then go to his graveside.

My parents put “First One Home” on his gravestone.  I love that.  That one act from my parents brought great peace to their children.  My parent’s resolve to honor God and trust Him sealed any doubt I had.  I kept looking, for years, for a chink in that resolve -- I never saw it.  Their kindness to the conductor of that train will be an incredible testimony I will tout for the Lord for all my days.  The man feared facing my parents and he desperately needed them to relieve some of his grief.  My parents quickly did.  They prayed for his relief when they prayed for their own.  Faith in the midst of a trial, faith in the midst of lasting heartache -- my parents found a very faithful God.  He sustained them, kept them, pursued them and rewarded them with peace and comfort. 

I remember finding my mom, yearly, on Tommy’s birthday and the date of his death, seeking time alone with the Lord to calm her sad heart. 

Teach your kids this kind of faith.  Someday they may be called to serve Him and your faithfulness might be what keeps their faith on track.  My parent’s undeniable faith has encouraged me on countless days. 

I love the Lord.  His peace is real and true. 
I will serve Him all my days.
Praying for my siblings who don’t confess a faith in Jesus.  Praying they repent and believe His promises – and remember the undeniable testimony of our parents. 

I love you all!!!
It is so good to be home and in love with Lee Park.

Becky ;)