Friday, August 3, 2012

What Bible Study Has Done For Me


My name is Shannon Hill. I am a wife to an amazing man, Mark, a mother of three, Parker, 5, Kessler, 2, and Riley, born in January. I am also a part time hair stylist. I was honored, (after the terror wore off) to be asked to lead a Bible study at church. I love the ladies ministry and the godly woman who run it that I look up to. When asked to write a blog for our ministry,I was very unsure of what to share, or what not to share, but after much prayer, I hope the words that follow are from Christ and not me.

I will never forget my first day of my Bible study, “So Long Insecurity”. The walk from the parking lot to the doors at Lee Park was almost enough to make me turn and run to the comforts of my home. I was fairly new to Lee Park, very new to Monroe and even more new to the idea of Bible study. Every insecure thought I could have raced through my mind at once, (funny how God works, He was already preparing me for what was to come).  I felt more insecure walking into a room full of Christian woman for an insecurity class than I did my first day of high school. I soon realized that I was not alone!! That study was just the beginning of my freedom through Christ. It was also the beginning of a better marriage, a better home life with my children and a better relationship with my mother.  It led to a much desired, much deeper relationship with my Creator. I enjoy Him now like I never knew I could. 

My Bible study “walks” have gotten much easier, and I haven’t missed an opportunity to be a part of one since. I have found deep friendships and awesome role models. These studies have not only changed me, but the Lord has worked on so many of my loved ones through the knowledge I obtained during these studies. Instead of casting judgment on my mother, which I had done for years, I now wanted to call and encourage her, to tell her how much God loves her and longs to have her back. She went from ignoring God and condemning herself to joining us on our ladies retreat and feeling closeness with the Lord that she had not felt for years! What a blessing it was to so many of us to hear her testimony on that trip. But wait, it gets better!! My sister, who is six years younger than me and who always looked up to me, even when I was living a life the opposite of what God intended for me, she found Christ a little over a year ago! I am so thankful that the Lord let me have a hand in that, and even more thankful for the forgiveness He has given to me! It just goes to show that He knows what He is doing, even when we don’t. He let me choose my own path, make my mistakes and then helped me realize how much I needed Him to choose my path for me. And even after all the years of turning my back on Him, He so graciously still chooses to bless me with so much.

I’m not saying life is perfect, I don’t expect perfection this side of heaven. What I am saying is that life is worth living with Christ leading, and not just worth it, it is overwhelmingly enjoyable. I am just a sinner, saved by grace, trying every day to live in this world and not be of it and praying hard that others see more of Him and less of me!

I pray that these studies touch you like they have touched me; I pray you will choose to make “the walk” through the doors and I pray you will always find open, loving arms waiting for you on the other side, just as I did.

Much Love,

Shannon