Monday, January 16, 2012

The long walk to the door.....

Ladies,

Tomorrow is our big day for Bible study sign-ups! We are very excited and can't wait to see everyone. This blog is one you need to read. It is from our dear friend, Sarah Vick. Her Bible study testimony may sound familiar to you, that you could write it yourself. It may be how you are feeling about tomorrow. Sarah taught a Bible study this past fall, and is one of our James teachers for this semester. She is an absolute delight, a wonderful friend, and has the best sense of humor! We are very glad she made the long walk to the door four years ago, our lives were changed for the better!

Becky and Lisa


Four years ago, I found myself in a new season of life. My older daughter was a student at Meredith College. My younger daughter was about to graduate from high school and begin her freshman year at NC State. My husband, John, and I were about to become "empty-nesters". My season of carpooling, packing lunches and helping out in my daughter's classrooms was already a thing of the past and my season as a mother of teenagers was quickly coming to an end. John and I have a strong marriage and we love spending time together so that was not a worry. At age 55, I was facing a major life change--I loved my roles of wife, mother and homemaker, but I wanted to know what new plans did God have in store for me?

John and I had been attending Lee Park for several weeks when it was announced that Beth Moore's study, The Patriarchs, would be offered. I decided to sign up for the morning study. I did not know anybody else in the study. As I got ready to go to the first session, I was so nervous that I almost didn't go. I just didn't know what to expect. When I pulled up into the parking lot, my feelings intensified and I almost drove away. Another lady was going in so I introduced myself to her and went in with her. When I stepped into the basement at the old Lee Park Church, I realized that I was the only newcomer. I found myself standing alone while my new friend went to take care of something in the kitchen. I felt like I was going to cry and was just about to leave, when I found myself surrounded by the most wonderfully kind ladies. They invited me to sit with them and took me into the kitchen to get something to eat and drink. My new friend from the parking lot finished her duties in the kitchen and came and sat with me too. I saw Jesus in all of these dear ladies.

I had never done a Beth Moore Bible study before and when I saw the workbook, I felt very intimidated and just plain overwhelmed! I confessed my feelings of inadequacy to my new friends and found they felt the same way! Becky Justice and Lisa Nance were the class teachers. I soon discovered that I could relax and just listen because they were not going to randomly call on us to answer questions or put us on the spot in any way. I do not like to speak up in groups of people so this was a relief to me!

I absolutely loved and still love Tuesday morning Bible study. I am so thankful that I did not let my negative feelings get the best of me and keep me from going to Bible study four years ago. Bible study has changed my life and filled the void I was experiencing with such peace and joy. God's Word has shown me new ways to serve Him. As I read and studied His Word, I learned that I could trust God completely and  depend on Him and Him alone. No problem is too big for Him and He loves us lavishly and unfailingly. What an awesome God we have!

Please come and join us on Tuesdays for Bible study. The blessings that you will receive from the study of God's Word will carry you through any season of life!

Sarah Vick