Monday, January 23, 2012

A Bondservant....

"James, A bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ."

Chris, in the early days at Lee Park did an entire sermon off of that part of the first verse in the book of James.

bondservant-
1. A person obligated to service without wages.
2. A slave.

Am I a bondservant of God?

The brother of Jesus is introducing himself as a bondservant.  Doesn't say, "I am James, brother of Jesus."  He only says, "bondservant of the Lord Jesus Christ."  I have nicknames for my brothers.  I like to show familiarity and sometimes that trumps the respect I should show for position.   I love the respect...the awe James shows to our Lord.  He doesn't seem interested in flaunting his "brother" credentials...only interested in expressing his "sold-out(ness)" to his Lord, Jesus Christ.

While I like modern...some modern phrases get me a little tweaked.  "Jesus is my homey"..."Jesus is my homeboy" ....ohh and this one makes me want to pull over cars and discuss the theology of such ..."Jesus is my co-pilot."   (How did that phrase make it to bumper stickers?)

Ladies....
As we begin James tomorrow, may we approach the Lord Jesus Christ...praying to be "bondservants" ...bondservants as we prepare to do our homework..bondservants as we carve out time to go to study...and bondservants as we try to memorize the book of James.

Many of you, (I've been guilty too) come on Tuesdays asking for what can be done FOR you and many walk away empty week after week.  Maybe we all can go into this study (since we all will be doing the same study:):):)yay!)...asking only to make us bondservants of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I'm praying for you..I can't wait to see you...feed you...and study God's Word with you.   More than anything...become a bondservant of God with you!  :)

Much love!
Becky

It's still not too late to come tomorrow...we have a book for you.....call 704.289.4674 with any questions or just come to 2505 Morgan Mill Road tomorrow at 9 a.m. or 7 p.m.