Friday, September 9, 2011

Paths of Love

Becky and I (Lisa), are excited to introduce a guest blogger today, Sharon Latta.

Sharon is also in leadership in the Ladies Ministry with us. She is very friendly and outgoing, and we tease her that she knows everyone in Union county! She is also the wife of our Executive Pastor, Rev. Kit Latta. Sharon is a teacher, and has been in the school full time for the past couple of years. This year she is home full time in order to be the helpmate to her husband in his ministry, as well as to do more with the Ladies Ministry. We love Sharon, and know you will too.........

The house that we live in is very special to me. It was a house that I spent a great deal of time in as I was growing up. It was a house that was filled with much love and joy, making it not a house, but very much a home. It was the home of my maternal grandparents. I was fortunate enough to know both sets of my grandparents and they lived just five houses apart. We spent time at both homes, but where all the action took place was at my mom’s parents. They had a garden, cows, cats, kittens and a dog - also a barn to play in and a great area where we rode bikes in the yard. We made many memories there, playing, picking vegetables and then canning them. When I was a teenager, I remember telling my grandmother (Mema) that I wanted to live in their house one day. She could not understand why - but I knew it was because I was very close to them and had wonderful memories of all the activities that went on there.

My dream came true eleven years ago when we were given the opportunity to move into their home. I was so excited but knew much work needed to be done to make it livable for our family. Mema and Pop-pop had not lived there in about six years. We finally decided how we wanted to remodel it and we pretty much gutted the house- updating it completely. The only room that I would not change in a significant way was the kitchen. I had spent so many hours in that kitchen with Mema watching her take steps from the sink across the room to the stove and refrigerator. It was not the most modern of layouts but it was hers and I wanted to walk the same path that she walked as she prepared meals, baked biscuits and made cakes. Several people tried to get me to change it - to make it more convenient - but I was determined to follow her path in the room where she had shared so much of herself and her love with me.

As important as all of this is, it is even more critical to walk in the path that God has laid out for me. I know without a doubt that the path that He has for me is of greater importance than the path that my family, friends, or even society might wish to chart for my life. Therefore, His path is the one that I strive to keep in focus. As Proverbs 3:5 and 6 says,” Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” If I follow my Lord and Savior on the journeys of my life, I am certain that the blessings I will receive will be great, just as they will be for you. Trust the Lord for your path. He will not abandon you. He will not lead you astray. And just as I find comfort in the path of my grandmother, we can find comfort in the path of our God. The blessings will be GREAT.

In Christ’s Love,
Sharon Latta